Recipes for Healing
Each of these meals have foods that are rich in Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium and Cooper. These minerals support the body in healing pole kisses and sore muscles.
Lunch: Ginger prawns on bed of Chinese Cabbage
(adapted from FoodandWine)
- 2 L water
- 1 Chinese cabbage, leaves and ribs sliced separately 2 cm thick
- 4 1/2 tablespoons chicken stock powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon black soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 250g medium prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the cabbage ribs and cook for 10 seconds. Add the leaves and cook for 20 seconds. Drain the cabbage and rinse under cold water; drain well
In a small bowl, combine the chicken stock with the cornstarch, black soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper to make the sauce.
Warm a wok over high heat for 45 seconds. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the wok. Add the ginger and cook for 10 seconds. Stir in the garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook, turning once, until they begin to turn pink and curl up, about 15 seconds per side. Add all the cabbage and stir-fry for 2 1/2 minutes. Make a well in the center, pushing the mixture to the side of the wok. Stir the sauce and pour it into the well. Bring to a simmer, stir-frying to blend. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with the bell pepper and serve.
Dinner: Barley risotto with broccoli, served with a Rocket salad
(adapted from RealSimple)
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 head of broccoli sliced into small florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more.
Add the broccoli with the last 1/2 cup of broth and cook until tender. It should take 30 to 35 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed.
Remove from heat, season with the salt and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.
Serve with a quick rocket salad with sliced pears and sprinkle of raisins and toasted almonds.
Looking for snacks between meals? These healthy treats will also support healing and satisfy your cravings!
- Hummus with Carrot, Celery, and Cucumber
- Mixed nuts with raisins
- Hard boiled egg
- Sliced pears